Search This Blog

Monday 6 June 2016

Back to school!

It is a great relief every time the new school year starts after the summer break. Since the kids leave home early, I manage time better. My ears are relieved as I hear less of the loud explosion sounds from their gaming. I get to kindle more now, as they would not be downloading too many books that literally erase my books from view. I don’t have to plan their vacation – movies, restaurants, gaming, toys or places? I don’t have to call up often and coax them into eating the food that I packed and kept right near the desktop.

But this year something in me is worried. Just a day for the school to start, and I ask can’t it be one more week. Maybe I would start crying the moment they leave to school. God! Do I need a day off to cry or cover myself with enough work to forget about them, I wonder? Is it the guilt pang that I was not able to be with them to my heart’s content? Is it because they are growing up or because I am getting old?

They seem to have grown up, more understanding of my lack of time and more accommodating of my temper tantrums. They are more like friends now, sitting shoulder to shoulder lying on the couch watching TV, shouting with excitement every time our hero kicks the villain in the butt, laughing uncontrollably when the silliest of things happen, rapping and making dance movements, exclaiming how people watch silly soaps, discussing why that book had such a plot or this movie had such a dialogue. Every time Tom Hiddleston makes an appearance there will be a snide look-at-your-Loki remark.

And of course, the never-ending questions my younger one asks about the Harry Potter series. "If only a true Gryffindor can see the sword inside the sorting cap, can Ron Weasley see it?" he asks. I think about it and mutter, "Well! possibly. Why do you ask?" and he retorts, "all the Weasleys are in Gryffindor that's why." The other day he says, "Snape looks so sweet, if only he smiles he'll look even sweeter don't you think?", and I am so enthralled that I reveal what is in store in the last book. He immediately gets so excited and says, "I knew it already!"

Yesterday as I was watching teenage mutant Ninja turtles on screen and screaming with the kids, I was surprised how my interests have changed. I have never loved action movies and loud sound. But here I am feeling an adrenaline rush and a loud laugh every time the turtles punch the bad guys. I have never liked the ninja turtles leave alone favoring them. But now I am googling their names and history. Maybe the kids are approaching the teen phase, and that is having its impact on me, as the welcome hugs and kisses as I step in from work are replaced by a wave of the hand and a hi Ma!


As I keep reminiscing all this and feel heavy, chances are they come up with some mischief today and I end up wishing the school starts a day early! 

No comments:

Post a Comment